Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Skip to content

Today's Daf Yomi

July 11, 2014 | 讬状讙 讘转诪讜讝 转砖注状讚

  • This month's learning is sponsored by Terri Krivosha for the Refuah Shlemah of her husband Harav Hayim Yehuda Ben Faiga Rivah.聽

  • This month's learning is dedicated by Debbie and Yossi Gevir to Rabbanit Michelle and the Hadran Zoom group for their kindness, support, and care during a medically challenging year.

Taanit 30

诪讞讙讛 讜诪讗谉 讚讗诪专 讻讜诇讜 讗住讜专 诪讞讚砖讛 讜诪讗谉 讚讗诪专 讻诇 讛砖讘转 讻讜诇讛 讗住讜专 诪砖讘转讛

derives from the phrase 鈥渉er Festival鈥 that acts of mirth and rejoicing are prohibited from the New Moon, which is considered like a Festival. And the one who said that these activities are prohibited during the entire month learns this from the phrase 鈥渉er New Moon.鈥 And the one who said that acts of rejoicing are prohibited during the entire week of the Ninth of Av, derives this from the phrase 鈥渉er Shabbat,鈥 which also means a week.

讗诪专 专讘讗 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讜讗诪专 专讘讗 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘讬 诪讗讬专 讜转专讜讬讬讛讜 诇拽讜诇讗 讜爪专讬讻讗 讚讗讬 讗砖诪讜注讬谞谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘讬 诪讗讬专 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 诪专讗砖 讞讚砖 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇

With regard to the halakha itself, Rava said: The halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel. And Rava also said that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Meir. The Gemara remarks: And both of these rulings are intended as a leniency. And it is necessary for Rava to state both rulings, for had he taught us only that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Meir, I would have said that the mourning practices are obligatory even from the New Moon, as maintained by Rabbi Meir. Therefore, Rava teaches us that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel, that the restrictions of mourning do not apply until the week of the Ninth of Av.

讜讗讬 讗砖诪讜注讬谞谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 诇讗讞专讬讜 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘讬 诪讗讬专

And had he taught us only that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel, I would have said that the prohibitions apply even after the fast, until the end of the week. Consequently, Rava teaches us that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Meir. The prohibitions apply only until the Ninth of Av itself, not afterward.

注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讗讚诐 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 讻讜壮 讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讗 砖谞讜 讗诇讗 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讗讘诇 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪讟讛 诪讜转专 讜讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讗 砖谞讜 讗诇讗 讘住注讜讚讛 讛诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 讗讘诇 讘住注讜讚讛 砖讗讬谞讜 诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 诪讜转专

搂 The mishna taught: On the eve of the Ninth of Av, a person may not eat two cooked dishes in one meal. Rav Yehuda said: They taught that one may not partake of a meal with two dishes only from six hours of the day and onward, but from six hours and earlier it is permitted. And Rav Yehuda also said: They taught that it is prohibited to eat two dishes only in the concluding meal before beginning the fast. However, in a non-concluding meal it is permitted to eat two cooked dishes.

讜转专讜讬讬讛讜 诇拽讜诇讗 讜爪专讬讻讗 讚讗讬 讗砖诪注讬谞谉 讘住注讜讚讛 讛诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪讟讛 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讜讗讬 讗砖诪注讬谞谉 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 讘住注讜讚讛 砖讗讬谞讜 诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 讘住注讜讚讛 讛诪驻住讬拽 讘讛

The Gemara comments: And both of these rulings are intended as a leniency. And it is necessary for Rav Yehuda to state them both, for had he taught us that this halakha is referring only to the concluding meal, I would have said that this applies even from six hours and earlier. Rav Yehuda therefore teaches us that it applies only from six hours and onward. And had he taught us only that it is prohibited to eat two dishes from six hours and onward, I would have said that this applies even to a meal by which he does not stop eating. Rav Yehuda therefore teaches us that it applies only to the concluding meal.

转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 拽诪讗 转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 讘转专讗 转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 讘转专讗 讛住讜注讚 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗诐 注转讬讚 诇住注讜讚 住注讜讚讛 讗讞专转 诪讜转专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉 讜讗诐 诇讗讜 讗住讜专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉

The Gemara comments: It is taught in a baraita in accordance with the first version, and it is taught in a baraita in accordance with the second version. The Gemara elaborates: It is taught in a baraita in accordance with the second version, as follows: With regard to one who dines on the eve of the Ninth of Av, if he will eat another meal, he is permitted to eat meat and to drink wine during this first meal. But if he does not intend to eat another meal, he is prohibited to eat meat and to drink wine.

转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 拽诪讗 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讗讚诐 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讘砖专 讜诇讗 讬砖转讛 讬讬谉 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 讬砖谞讛 讗诪专 专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讻讬爪讚 诪砖谞讛 讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇讗讻讜诇 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 讬讗讻诇 诪讬谉 讗讞讚 讜讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇住注讜讚 讘注砖专讛 讘谞讬 讗讚诐 住讜注讚 讘讞诪砖讛 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇砖转讜转 注砖专讛 讻讜住讜转 砖讜转讛 讞诪砖讛 讻讜住讜转 讘诪讛 讚讘专讬诐 讗诪讜专讬诐 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讗讘诇 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪讟讛 诪讜转专

It is taught in a baraita in accordance with the first version: On the eve of the Ninth of Av, a person may not eat two cooked dishes. Furthermore, one may neither eat meat nor drink wine. Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: One must adjust and decrease the amount he eats. Rabbi Yehuda said: How should one adjust his meal? If he is accustomed to eat two cooked dishes at each meal, he should eat only one type of food; and if he is accustomed to dine in the company of ten people, he should dine with only five; and if he is accustomed to drinking ten cups of wine, he should drink only five cups. In what case is this statement said? From six hours and onward; however, from six hours and earlier all these practices are permitted.

转谞讬讗 讗讬讚讱 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讗讚诐 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讘砖专 讜诇讗 讬砖转讛 讬讬谉 讚讘专讬 专讘讬 诪讗讬专 讜讞讻诪讬诐 讗讜诪专讬诐 讬砖谞讛 讜诪诪注讟 讘讘砖专 讜讘讬讬谉 讻讬爪讚 诪诪注讟 讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇讗讻讜诇 诇讬讟专讗 讘砖专 讬讗讻诇 讞爪讬 诇讬讟专讗 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇砖转讜转 诇讜讙 讬讬谉 讬砖转讛 讞爪讬 诇讜讙 讬讬谉 讜讗诐 讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 讻诇 注讬拽专 讗住讜专 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇讗讻讜诇 爪谞讜谉 讗讜 诪诇讬讞 讗讞专 住注讜讚转讜 讛专砖讜转 讘讬讚讜

It is taught in another baraita: On the eve of the Ninth of Av, a person may not eat two cooked dishes, and he may neither eat meat nor drink wine; this is the statement of Rabbi Meir. And the Rabbis say: One must adjust and reduce his consumption of meat and wine. How does one reduce his meat and wine? If he is accustomed to eating a liter of meat in his meal, he should eat half a liter; if he is accustomed to drinking a log of wine, he should drink half a log of wine; and if he is not accustomed to eating meat or drinking wine at all, it is prohibited for him to do so at all. Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: If he is accustomed to eating a radish or a salted dish after his meal, he has permission to do so on the eve of the Ninth of Av, as they are not considered an additional dish.

转谞讬讗 讗讬讚讱 讻诇 砖讛讜讗 诪砖讜诐 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗住讜专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜讗住讜专 诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉 讜讗住讜专 诇专讞讜抓 讻诇 砖讗讬谞讜 诪砖讜诐 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诪讜转专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉 讜讗住讜专 诇专讞讜抓 专讘讬 讬砖诪注讗诇 讘专讘讬 讬讜住讬 讗讜诪专 诪砖讜诐 讗讘讬讜 讻诇 砖注讛 砖诪讜转专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 诪讜转专 诇专讞讜抓

It is taught in another baraita: In any meal that is eaten due to the fast of the Ninth of Av, it is prohibited to eat meat; and it is prohibited to drink wine; and it is likewise prohibited to bathe in anticipation of the fast. However, in any meal that is not due to the Ninth of Av, i.e., one is eating the meal in order that he shouldn鈥檛 be hungry on the Ninth of Av, it is permitted to eat meat and to drink wine, but it is nevertheless prohibited to bathe at that time. Rabbi Yishmael, son of Rabbi Yosei, said in the name of his father: For the entire time that one is permitted to eat meat, he is likewise permitted to bathe.

转谞讜 专讘谞谉 讻诇 诪爪讜转 讛谞讜讛讙讜转 讘讗讘诇 谞讜讛讙讜转 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗住讜专 讘讗讻讬诇讛 讜讘砖转讬讛 讜讘住讬讻讛 讜讘谞注讬诇转 讛住谞讚诇 讜讘转砖诪讬砖 讛诪讟讛 讜讗住讜专 诇拽专讜转 讘转讜专讛 讘谞讘讬讗讬诐 讜讘讻转讜讘讬诐 讜诇砖谞讜转 讘诪砖谞讛 讘转诇诪讜讚 讜讘诪讚专砖 讜讘讛诇讻讜转 讜讘讗讙讚讜转

The Sages taught: All mitzvot practiced by a mourner are likewise practiced on the Ninth of Av: It is prohibited to engage in eating, and in drinking, and in smearing oil on one鈥檚 body, and in wearing shoes, and in conjugal relations. It is prohibited to read from the Torah, from the Prophets, and from the Writings, or to study from the Mishna, from the Gemara, and from midrash, and from collections of halakhot, and from collections of aggadot.

讗讘诇 拽讜专讗 讛讜讗 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇拽专讜转 讜砖讜谞讛 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇砖谞讜转 讜拽讜专讗 讘拽讬谞讜转 讘讗讬讜讘 讜讘讚讘专讬诐 讛专注讬诐 砖讘讬专诪讬讛 讜转讬谞讜拽讜转 砖诇 讘讬转 专讘谉 讘讟诇讬谉 诪砖讜诐 砖谞讗诪专 驻拽讜讚讬 讛壮 讬砖专讬诐 诪砖诪讞讬 诇讘

However, one may read from a place in the Bible that he is unaccustomed to reading, as it will be difficult for him and he will not derive pleasure from it, and he may likewise study from a place of the Talmud that he is unaccustomed to studying. And one may read from the book of Lamentations; from the book of Job; and from the evil matters in Jeremiah, i.e., his prophecies of doom. And schoolchildren interrupt their studies for the day because it is stated: 鈥淭he precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart鈥 (Psalms 19:9).

专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讗讜诪专 讗祝 讗讬谞讜 拽讜专讗 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇拽专讜转 讜讗讬谞讜 砖讜谞讛 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇砖谞讜转 讗讘诇 拽讜专讗 讛讜讗 讘讗讬讜讘 讜讘拽讬谞讜转 讜讘讚讘专讬诐 讛专注讬诐 砖讘讬专诪讬讛讜 讜转讬谞讜拽讜转 砖诇 讘讬转 专讘谉 讘讟诇讬诐 讘讜 诪砖讜诐 砖谞讗诪专 驻拽讜讚讬 讛壮 讬砖专讬诐 诪砖诪讞讬 诇讘

Rabbi Yehuda says: One may not even read from a place in the Bible that he is unaccustomed to reading, nor may one study from a place of the Talmud that he is unaccustomed to studying. However, one may read from Job, and from Lamentations, and from the evil matters of Jeremiah. And schoolchildren interrupt their studies on that day because it is stated: 鈥淭he precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart鈥 (Psalms 19:9).

诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讘砖专 讜诇讗 讬砖转讛 讬讬谉 转谞讗 讗讘诇 讗讜讻诇 讛讜讗 讘砖专 诪诇讬讞 讜砖讜转讛 讬讬谉 诪讙转讜 讘砖专 诪诇讬讞 注讚 讻诪讛 讗诪专 专讘 讞讬谞谞讗 讘专 讻讛谞讗 诪砖诪讬讛 讚砖诪讜讗诇 讻诇 讝诪谉 砖讛讜讗 讻砖诇诪讬诐

搂 The mishna taught that one may neither eat meat nor drink wine. A tanna taught in the Tosefta: However, one may eat heavily salted meat and drink wine from his press, i.e., wine that has not finished fermenting. The Gemara inquires: With regard to salted meat, how long must this meat remain in salt before it is permitted? Rav 岣nnana bar Kahana said in the name of Shmuel: As long as it is like peace-offerings, which could be eaten for two days and one night after they were sacrificed. After this time has passed, it is no longer called meat. Therefore, if it was salted for longer than this, it may be eaten on the eve of the Ninth of Av.

讜讬讬谉 诪讙转讜 注讚 讻诪讛 讻诇 讝诪谉 砖讛讜讗 转讜住住 转谞讗 讬讬谉 转讜住住 讗讬谉 讘讜 诪砖讜诐 讙讬诇讜讬 讜讻诪讛 转住讬住转讜 砖诇砖讛 讬诪讬诐

The Gemara asks: And with regard to wine from his press, until when is wine considered from his press? As long as it is fermenting. A tanna taught in a baraita: Wine that is fermenting does not have a problem with regard to exposed liquids, as there is no concern that a snake will leave its venom in that wine. And how long is its fermenting period? Three days from the time the grapes were pressed.

讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 讗诪专 专讘 讻讱 讛讬讛 诪谞讛讙讜 砖诇 专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讘专讘讬 讗讬诇注讗讬 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诪讘讬讗讬谉 诇讜 驻转 讞专讘讛 讘诪诇讞 讜讬讜砖讘

Rav Yehuda said that Rav said: This was the custom of Rabbi Yehuda, son of Rabbi Ilai. On the eve of the Ninth of Av, near the evening, they would bring him stale bread with salt, and he would sit

讘讬谉 转谞讜专 诇讻讬专讬讬诐 讜讗讜讻诇 讜砖讜转讛 注诇讬讛 拽讬转讜谉 砖诇 诪讬诐 讜讚讜诪讛 讻诪讬 砖诪转讜 诪讜讟诇 诇驻谞讬讜

between the oven and the stove, which was considered the least respectable place in the house. And he would eat his bread, and drink a jug [kiton] of water with it, and in doing so he would resemble one whose deceased relative is laid out unburied before him.

转谞谉 讛转诐 诪拽讜诐 砖谞讛讙讜 诇注砖讜转 诪诇讗讻讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 注讜砖讬谉 诪拽讜诐 砖谞讛讙讜 砖诇讗 诇注砖讜转 讗讬谉 注讜砖讬谉 讜讘讻诇 诪拽讜诐 转诇诪讬讚讬 讞讻诪讬诐 讘讟诇讬诐 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 诇注讜诇诐 讬注砖讛 讻诇 讗讚诐 注爪诪讜 讻转诇诪讬讚 讞讻诐 转谞讬讗 谞诪讬 讛讻讬 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 诇注讜诇诐 讬注砖讛 讗讚诐 注爪诪讜 讻转诇诪讬讚 讞讻诐 讻讚讬 砖讬转注谞讛

We learned in a mishna there: In a place where people were accustomed to perform labor on the Ninth of Av, one performs labor. In a place where people were accustomed not to perform labor, one does not perform labor. And in all places, Torah scholars are idle and do not perform labor on the Ninth of Av. Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: With regard to the Ninth of Av, a person should always conduct himself as a Torah scholar and refrain from performing labor. This is also taught in a baraita: Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: A person should always conduct himself as a Torah scholar, so that he will feel the hardship of the fast.

转谞讬讗 讗讬讚讱 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 讻诇 讛讗讜讻诇 讜砖讜转讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讻讗讬诇讜 讗讜讻诇 讜砖讜转讛 讘讬讜诐 讛讻驻讜专讬诐 专讘讬 注拽讬讘讗 讗讜诪专 讻诇 讛注讜砖讛 诪诇讗讻讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗讬谞讜 专讜讗讛 住讬诪谉 讘专讻讛 诇注讜诇诐

It is taught in another baraita that Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: Whoever eats and drinks on the Ninth of Av, although the prohibition was instituted by the Prophets, it is as though he eats and drinks on Yom Kippur. Rabbi Akiva says: Whoever performs labor on the Ninth of Av never sees a sign of a blessing from that work.

讜讞讻诪讬诐 讗讜诪专讬诐 讻诇 讛注讜砖讛 诪诇讗讻讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讜讗讬谞讜 诪转讗讘诇 注诇 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讗讬谞讜 专讜讗讛 讘砖诪讞转讛 砖谞讗诪专 砖诪讞讜 讗转 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讜讙讬诇讜 讘讛 讻诇 讗讛讘讬讛 砖讬砖讜 讗转讛 诪砖讜砖 讻诇 讛诪转讗讘诇讬诐 注诇讬讛 诪讻讗谉 讗诪专讜 讻诇 讛诪转讗讘诇 注诇 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讝讜讻讛 讜专讜讗讛 讘砖诪讞转讛 讜砖讗讬谞讜 诪转讗讘诇 注诇 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讗讬谞讜 专讜讗讛 讘砖诪讞转讛 转谞讬讗 谞诪讬 讛讻讬 讻诇 讛讗讜讻诇 讘砖专 讜砖讜转讛 讬讬谉 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 注诇讬讜 讛讻转讜讘 讗讜诪专 讜转讛讬 注讜谞讜转诐 注诇 注爪诪转诐

And the Sages say: Whoever performs labor on the Ninth of Av and does not mourn for Jerusalem will not see her future joy, as it is stated: 鈥淩ejoice with Jerusalem and be glad with her, all who love her; rejoice for joy with her, all who mourn for her鈥 (Isaiah 66:10). From here it is stated: Whoever mourns for Jerusalem will merit and see her future joy, and whoever does not mourn for Jerusalem will not see her future joy. This is also taught in a baraita: Whoever eats meat or drinks wine in the meal before the Ninth of Av, about him the verse states: 鈥淎nd whose iniquities are upon their bones, because the terror of the mighty was in the land of the living鈥 (Ezekiel 32:27).

专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 诪讞讬讬讘 讘讻驻讬讬转 讛诪讟讛 讜诇讗 讛讜讚讜 诇讜 讞讻诪讬诐 转谞讬讗 讗诪专讜 诇讜 诇专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讚讘专讬讱 注讜讘专讜转 讜诪谞讬拽讜转 诪讛 转讛讗 注诇讬讛谉 讗诪专 诇讛诐 讗祝 讗谞讬 诇讗 讗诪专转讬 讗诇讗 讘讬讻讜诇

搂 The mishna taught: Rabbi Yehuda obligates one to overturn the bed, but the Rabbis did not agree with him. It is taught in a baraita that the Rabbis said to Rabbi Yehuda: According to your statement, pregnant women and nursing women, who cannot sleep on the floor, what will become of them? Rabbi Yehuda said to them: I, too, spoke only with regard to those who are able.

转谞讬讗 谞诪讬 讛讻讬 诪讜讚讛 专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讞讻诪讬诐 讘砖讗讬谞讜 讬讻讜诇 讜诪讜讚讬诐 讞讻诪讬诐 诇专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讘讬讻讜诇 诪讗讬 讘讬谞讬讬讛讜 讗讬讻讗 讘讬谞讬讬讛讜 砖讗专 诪讟讜转

This is also taught in another baraita: Rabbi Yehuda concedes to the Rabbis with regard to one who is unable to sleep on the floor, and the Rabbis concede to Rabbi Yehuda with regard to one who is able to do so. The Gemara asks: If so, what is the practical difference between them? The Gemara explains: The practical difference between them is the status of other beds.

讻讚转谞讬讗 讻砖讗诪专讜 诇讻驻讜转 讛诪讟讛 诇讗 诪讟转讜 讘诇讘讚 讛讜讗 讻讜驻讛 讗诇讗 讻诇 讛诪讟讜转 讻讜诇谉 讛讜讗 讻讜驻讛 讗诪专 专讘讗 讛诇讻转讗 讻转谞讗 讚讬讚谉 讜诇讗 讛讜讚讜 诇讜 讞讻诪讬诐 讻诇 注讬拽专

As it is taught in a baraita: When the Rabbis said that a mourner is required to overturn the bed, they meant that he overturns not only his own bed, but also that he must overturn all the beds in the house. Rabbi Yehuda maintains that one must likewise overturn all of the beds of one鈥檚 house on the Ninth of Av. Rava said: The halakha is in accordance with the opinion of the tanna of our mishna, and the Rabbis did not concede to Rabbi Yehuda at all, even with regard to one who is able. Therefore, there is no requirement to overturn one鈥檚 bed on the Ninth of Av.

讗诪专 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 诇讗 讛讬讜 讬诪讬诐 讟讜讘讬诐 诇讬砖专讗诇 讻讞诪砖讛 注砖专 讘讗讘 讜讻讬讜诐 讛讻驻讜专讬诐 讘砖诇诪讗 讬讜诐 讛讻驻讜专讬诐 诪砖讜诐 讚讗讬转 讘讬讛 住诇讬讞讛 讜诪讞讬诇讛 讬讜诐 砖谞讬转谞讜 讘讜 诇讜讞讜转 讛讗讞专讜谞讜转

搂 The mishna taught that Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel said: There were no days as happy for the Jewish people as the fifteenth of Av and as Yom Kippur. The Gemara asks: Granted, Yom Kippur is a day of joy because it has the elements of pardon and forgiveness, and moreover, it is the day on which the last pair of tablets were given.

讗诇讗 讞诪砖讛 注砖专 讘讗讘 诪讗讬 讛讬讗 讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 讗诪专 砖诪讜讗诇 讬讜诐 砖讛讜转专讜 砖讘讟讬诐 诇讘讜讗 讝讛 讘讝讛

However, what is the special joy of the fifteenth of Av? Rav Yehuda said that Shmuel said: This was the day on which the members of different tribes were permitted to enter one another鈥檚 tribe, by intermarriage. It was initially prohibited to intermarry between tribes, so as to keep each plot of land within the portion of the tribe that originally inherited it. This halakha was instituted by the Torah in the wake of a complaint by the relatives of the daughters of Zelophehad, who were worried that if these women married men from other tribes, the inheritance of Zelophehad would be lost from his tribe (see Numbers 36:1鈥12).

诪讗讬 讚专讜砖 讝讛 讛讚讘专 讗砖专 爪讜讛 讛壮 诇讘谞讜转 爪诇驻讞讚 讜讙讜壮 讚讘专 讝讛 诇讗 讬讛讗 谞讜讛讙 讗诇讗 讘讚讜专 讝讛

What did they expound, in support of their conclusion that this halakha was no longer in effect? The verse states: 鈥淭his is the matter that the Lord has commanded concerning the daughters of Zelophehad, saying: Let them marry whom they think best; only into the family of the tribe of their father shall they marry鈥 (Numbers 36:5). They derived from the verse that this matter shall be practiced only in this generation, when Eretz Yisrael was divided among the tribes, but afterward members of different tribes were permitted to marry. On the day this barrier separating the tribes was removed, the Sages established a permanent day of rejoicing.

讗诪专 专讘 讬讜住祝 讗诪专 专讘 谞讞诪谉 讬讜诐 砖讛讜转专 砖讘讟 讘谞讬诪讬谉 诇讘讜讗 讘拽讛诇 砖谞讗诪专 讜讗讬砖 讬砖专讗诇 谞砖讘注 讘诪爪驻讛 诇讗诪专 讗讬砖 诪诪谞讜 诇讗 讬转谉 讘转讜 诇讘谞讬诪谉 诇讗砖讛 诪讗讬 讚专讜砖 讗诪专 专讘 诪诪谞讜 讜诇讗 诪讘谞讬谞讜

Rav Yosef said that Rav Na岣an said: The fifteenth of Av was the day on which the tribe of Benjamin was permitted to enter the congregation of the Jewish people. After the tragic incident at Gibeah, for which the tribe of Benjamin was blamed, the other tribes ostracized them. They took an oath to prohibit themselves from marrying a member of the tribe of Benjamin, as it is stated: 鈥淎nd the men of Israel had sworn in Mizpah, saying: None of us shall give his daughter to Benjamin as a wife鈥 (Judges 21:1). The Gemara asks: What did they expound that enabled them to dissolve this oath? Rav said: They understood the verse literally, as it states: 鈥淣one of us,鈥 and not: None of our children, i.e., the oath applied only to the generation that took the oath, not their descendants.

讗诪专 专讘讛 讘专 讘专 讞谞讛 讗诪专 专讘讬 讬讜讞谞谉 讬讜诐 砖讻诇讜 讘讜 诪转讬 诪讚讘专 讚讗诪专 诪专 注讚 砖诇讗 讻诇讜 诪转讬 诪讚讘专 诇讗 讛讬讛 讚讘讜专 注诐 诪砖讛 砖谞讗诪专 讜讬讛讬 讻讗砖专 转诪讜 讻诇 讗谞砖讬 讛诪诇讞诪讛 诇诪讜转 讜讬讚讘专 讛壮 讗诇讬 讗诇讬 讛讬讛 讛讚讘讜专

Rabba bar bar 岣na said that Rabbi Yo岣nan said: The fifteenth of Av was the day on which the deaths of the Jews in the wilderness ceased. The entire generation that had left Egypt had passed away, as the Master said: After the sin of the spies, on account of which the Jews of that generation were sentenced to die in the wilderness, as long as the death of the Jews in the wilderness had not ceased, God鈥檚 speech did not come to Moses, as it is stated: 鈥淎nd it came to pass, when all the men of war were consumed and dead from among the people, that the Lord spoke to me, saying鈥 (Deuteronomy 2:16鈥17). This indicates that only then, after the last member of that generation had died, was God鈥檚 speech delivered to me, i.e., Moses, but not beforehand. When the Jews realized that the decree that God would not speak to Moses had been lifted, they established that day as a permanent day of rejoicing.

注讜诇讗 讗诪专 讬讜诐 砖讘讬讟诇 讛讜砖注 讘谉 讗诇讛 驻专讜住讚讬讜转 砖讛讜砖讬讘 讬专讘注诐 讘谉 谞讘讟 注诇 讛讚专讻讬诐 砖诇讗 讬注诇讜 讬砖专讗诇 诇专讙诇 讜讗诪专

Ulla said: The fifteenth of Av was the day on which King Hoshea, son of Ela, canceled the guards that Jeroboam, son of Nevat, placed on the roads so that the Jews would not ascend to Jerusalem for the pilgrim Festival. And Hoshea, son of Ela, said

  • This month's learning is sponsored by Terri Krivosha for the Refuah Shlemah of her husband Harav Hayim Yehuda Ben Faiga Rivah.聽

  • This month's learning is dedicated by Debbie and Yossi Gevir to Rabbanit Michelle and the Hadran Zoom group for their kindness, support, and care during a medically challenging year.

Want to explore more about the Daf?

See insights from our partners, contributors and community of women learners

learn daf yomi one week at a time with tamara spitz

Taanit: 26-31 + Siyum – Daf Yomi One Week at a Time

This week we will learn about the national involvement in the Temple service, including Priests, Levites, and Israel. These were...
alon shvut women

Siyum Taanit

Taanit, Daf 30,31 Teachers: Yehudit Epstein, Dena Rock & Susan Suna https://youtu.be/jgm7M6EooJA
Gefet in english with rabbanit yael shimoni

The Simcha on Tu B’Av- Gefet 18

https://youtu.be/97oaxCp52hU We have reached the ending chord of Masechet Ta鈥檃nit. This end has the ability to illuminate the rest of...
love statue

All You Need is Love

The fasts, famines and general tribulations of Masechet Taanit end on a happy note as the final Mishnah discusses two...

Taanit 30

The William Davidson Talmud | Powered by Sefaria

Taanit 30

诪讞讙讛 讜诪讗谉 讚讗诪专 讻讜诇讜 讗住讜专 诪讞讚砖讛 讜诪讗谉 讚讗诪专 讻诇 讛砖讘转 讻讜诇讛 讗住讜专 诪砖讘转讛

derives from the phrase 鈥渉er Festival鈥 that acts of mirth and rejoicing are prohibited from the New Moon, which is considered like a Festival. And the one who said that these activities are prohibited during the entire month learns this from the phrase 鈥渉er New Moon.鈥 And the one who said that acts of rejoicing are prohibited during the entire week of the Ninth of Av, derives this from the phrase 鈥渉er Shabbat,鈥 which also means a week.

讗诪专 专讘讗 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讜讗诪专 专讘讗 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘讬 诪讗讬专 讜转专讜讬讬讛讜 诇拽讜诇讗 讜爪专讬讻讗 讚讗讬 讗砖诪讜注讬谞谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘讬 诪讗讬专 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 诪专讗砖 讞讚砖 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇

With regard to the halakha itself, Rava said: The halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel. And Rava also said that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Meir. The Gemara remarks: And both of these rulings are intended as a leniency. And it is necessary for Rava to state both rulings, for had he taught us only that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Meir, I would have said that the mourning practices are obligatory even from the New Moon, as maintained by Rabbi Meir. Therefore, Rava teaches us that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel, that the restrictions of mourning do not apply until the week of the Ninth of Av.

讜讗讬 讗砖诪讜注讬谞谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 诇讗讞专讬讜 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 讛诇讻讛 讻专讘讬 诪讗讬专

And had he taught us only that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel, I would have said that the prohibitions apply even after the fast, until the end of the week. Consequently, Rava teaches us that the halakha is in accordance with the opinion of Rabbi Meir. The prohibitions apply only until the Ninth of Av itself, not afterward.

注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讗讚诐 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 讻讜壮 讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讗 砖谞讜 讗诇讗 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讗讘诇 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪讟讛 诪讜转专 讜讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讗 砖谞讜 讗诇讗 讘住注讜讚讛 讛诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 讗讘诇 讘住注讜讚讛 砖讗讬谞讜 诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 诪讜转专

搂 The mishna taught: On the eve of the Ninth of Av, a person may not eat two cooked dishes in one meal. Rav Yehuda said: They taught that one may not partake of a meal with two dishes only from six hours of the day and onward, but from six hours and earlier it is permitted. And Rav Yehuda also said: They taught that it is prohibited to eat two dishes only in the concluding meal before beginning the fast. However, in a non-concluding meal it is permitted to eat two cooked dishes.

讜转专讜讬讬讛讜 诇拽讜诇讗 讜爪专讬讻讗 讚讗讬 讗砖诪注讬谞谉 讘住注讜讚讛 讛诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪讟讛 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讜讗讬 讗砖诪注讬谞谉 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讛讜讛 讗诪讬谞讗 讗驻讬诇讜 讘住注讜讚讛 砖讗讬谞讜 诪驻住讬拽 讘讛 拽诪砖诪注 诇谉 讘住注讜讚讛 讛诪驻住讬拽 讘讛

The Gemara comments: And both of these rulings are intended as a leniency. And it is necessary for Rav Yehuda to state them both, for had he taught us that this halakha is referring only to the concluding meal, I would have said that this applies even from six hours and earlier. Rav Yehuda therefore teaches us that it applies only from six hours and onward. And had he taught us only that it is prohibited to eat two dishes from six hours and onward, I would have said that this applies even to a meal by which he does not stop eating. Rav Yehuda therefore teaches us that it applies only to the concluding meal.

转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 拽诪讗 转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 讘转专讗 转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 讘转专讗 讛住讜注讚 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗诐 注转讬讚 诇住注讜讚 住注讜讚讛 讗讞专转 诪讜转专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉 讜讗诐 诇讗讜 讗住讜专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉

The Gemara comments: It is taught in a baraita in accordance with the first version, and it is taught in a baraita in accordance with the second version. The Gemara elaborates: It is taught in a baraita in accordance with the second version, as follows: With regard to one who dines on the eve of the Ninth of Av, if he will eat another meal, he is permitted to eat meat and to drink wine during this first meal. But if he does not intend to eat another meal, he is prohibited to eat meat and to drink wine.

转谞讬讗 讻诇讬砖谞讗 拽诪讗 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讗讚诐 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讘砖专 讜诇讗 讬砖转讛 讬讬谉 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 讬砖谞讛 讗诪专 专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讻讬爪讚 诪砖谞讛 讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇讗讻讜诇 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 讬讗讻诇 诪讬谉 讗讞讚 讜讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇住注讜讚 讘注砖专讛 讘谞讬 讗讚诐 住讜注讚 讘讞诪砖讛 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇砖转讜转 注砖专讛 讻讜住讜转 砖讜转讛 讞诪砖讛 讻讜住讜转 讘诪讛 讚讘专讬诐 讗诪讜专讬诐 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪注诇讛 讗讘诇 诪砖砖 砖注讜转 讜诇诪讟讛 诪讜转专

It is taught in a baraita in accordance with the first version: On the eve of the Ninth of Av, a person may not eat two cooked dishes. Furthermore, one may neither eat meat nor drink wine. Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: One must adjust and decrease the amount he eats. Rabbi Yehuda said: How should one adjust his meal? If he is accustomed to eat two cooked dishes at each meal, he should eat only one type of food; and if he is accustomed to dine in the company of ten people, he should dine with only five; and if he is accustomed to drinking ten cups of wine, he should drink only five cups. In what case is this statement said? From six hours and onward; however, from six hours and earlier all these practices are permitted.

转谞讬讗 讗讬讚讱 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讗讚诐 砖谞讬 转讘砖讬诇讬谉 诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讘砖专 讜诇讗 讬砖转讛 讬讬谉 讚讘专讬 专讘讬 诪讗讬专 讜讞讻诪讬诐 讗讜诪专讬诐 讬砖谞讛 讜诪诪注讟 讘讘砖专 讜讘讬讬谉 讻讬爪讚 诪诪注讟 讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇讗讻讜诇 诇讬讟专讗 讘砖专 讬讗讻诇 讞爪讬 诇讬讟专讗 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇砖转讜转 诇讜讙 讬讬谉 讬砖转讛 讞爪讬 诇讜讙 讬讬谉 讜讗诐 讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 讻诇 注讬拽专 讗住讜专 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 讗诐 讛讬讛 专讙讬诇 诇讗讻讜诇 爪谞讜谉 讗讜 诪诇讬讞 讗讞专 住注讜讚转讜 讛专砖讜转 讘讬讚讜

It is taught in another baraita: On the eve of the Ninth of Av, a person may not eat two cooked dishes, and he may neither eat meat nor drink wine; this is the statement of Rabbi Meir. And the Rabbis say: One must adjust and reduce his consumption of meat and wine. How does one reduce his meat and wine? If he is accustomed to eating a liter of meat in his meal, he should eat half a liter; if he is accustomed to drinking a log of wine, he should drink half a log of wine; and if he is not accustomed to eating meat or drinking wine at all, it is prohibited for him to do so at all. Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: If he is accustomed to eating a radish or a salted dish after his meal, he has permission to do so on the eve of the Ninth of Av, as they are not considered an additional dish.

转谞讬讗 讗讬讚讱 讻诇 砖讛讜讗 诪砖讜诐 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗住讜专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜讗住讜专 诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉 讜讗住讜专 诇专讞讜抓 讻诇 砖讗讬谞讜 诪砖讜诐 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诪讜转专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 讜诇砖转讜转 讬讬谉 讜讗住讜专 诇专讞讜抓 专讘讬 讬砖诪注讗诇 讘专讘讬 讬讜住讬 讗讜诪专 诪砖讜诐 讗讘讬讜 讻诇 砖注讛 砖诪讜转专 诇讗讻讜诇 讘砖专 诪讜转专 诇专讞讜抓

It is taught in another baraita: In any meal that is eaten due to the fast of the Ninth of Av, it is prohibited to eat meat; and it is prohibited to drink wine; and it is likewise prohibited to bathe in anticipation of the fast. However, in any meal that is not due to the Ninth of Av, i.e., one is eating the meal in order that he shouldn鈥檛 be hungry on the Ninth of Av, it is permitted to eat meat and to drink wine, but it is nevertheless prohibited to bathe at that time. Rabbi Yishmael, son of Rabbi Yosei, said in the name of his father: For the entire time that one is permitted to eat meat, he is likewise permitted to bathe.

转谞讜 专讘谞谉 讻诇 诪爪讜转 讛谞讜讛讙讜转 讘讗讘诇 谞讜讛讙讜转 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗住讜专 讘讗讻讬诇讛 讜讘砖转讬讛 讜讘住讬讻讛 讜讘谞注讬诇转 讛住谞讚诇 讜讘转砖诪讬砖 讛诪讟讛 讜讗住讜专 诇拽专讜转 讘转讜专讛 讘谞讘讬讗讬诐 讜讘讻转讜讘讬诐 讜诇砖谞讜转 讘诪砖谞讛 讘转诇诪讜讚 讜讘诪讚专砖 讜讘讛诇讻讜转 讜讘讗讙讚讜转

The Sages taught: All mitzvot practiced by a mourner are likewise practiced on the Ninth of Av: It is prohibited to engage in eating, and in drinking, and in smearing oil on one鈥檚 body, and in wearing shoes, and in conjugal relations. It is prohibited to read from the Torah, from the Prophets, and from the Writings, or to study from the Mishna, from the Gemara, and from midrash, and from collections of halakhot, and from collections of aggadot.

讗讘诇 拽讜专讗 讛讜讗 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇拽专讜转 讜砖讜谞讛 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇砖谞讜转 讜拽讜专讗 讘拽讬谞讜转 讘讗讬讜讘 讜讘讚讘专讬诐 讛专注讬诐 砖讘讬专诪讬讛 讜转讬谞讜拽讜转 砖诇 讘讬转 专讘谉 讘讟诇讬谉 诪砖讜诐 砖谞讗诪专 驻拽讜讚讬 讛壮 讬砖专讬诐 诪砖诪讞讬 诇讘

However, one may read from a place in the Bible that he is unaccustomed to reading, as it will be difficult for him and he will not derive pleasure from it, and he may likewise study from a place of the Talmud that he is unaccustomed to studying. And one may read from the book of Lamentations; from the book of Job; and from the evil matters in Jeremiah, i.e., his prophecies of doom. And schoolchildren interrupt their studies for the day because it is stated: 鈥淭he precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart鈥 (Psalms 19:9).

专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讗讜诪专 讗祝 讗讬谞讜 拽讜专讗 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇拽专讜转 讜讗讬谞讜 砖讜谞讛 讘诪拽讜诐 砖讗讬谞讜 专讙讬诇 诇砖谞讜转 讗讘诇 拽讜专讗 讛讜讗 讘讗讬讜讘 讜讘拽讬谞讜转 讜讘讚讘专讬诐 讛专注讬诐 砖讘讬专诪讬讛讜 讜转讬谞讜拽讜转 砖诇 讘讬转 专讘谉 讘讟诇讬诐 讘讜 诪砖讜诐 砖谞讗诪专 驻拽讜讚讬 讛壮 讬砖专讬诐 诪砖诪讞讬 诇讘

Rabbi Yehuda says: One may not even read from a place in the Bible that he is unaccustomed to reading, nor may one study from a place of the Talmud that he is unaccustomed to studying. However, one may read from Job, and from Lamentations, and from the evil matters of Jeremiah. And schoolchildren interrupt their studies on that day because it is stated: 鈥淭he precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart鈥 (Psalms 19:9).

诇讗 讬讗讻诇 讘砖专 讜诇讗 讬砖转讛 讬讬谉 转谞讗 讗讘诇 讗讜讻诇 讛讜讗 讘砖专 诪诇讬讞 讜砖讜转讛 讬讬谉 诪讙转讜 讘砖专 诪诇讬讞 注讚 讻诪讛 讗诪专 专讘 讞讬谞谞讗 讘专 讻讛谞讗 诪砖诪讬讛 讚砖诪讜讗诇 讻诇 讝诪谉 砖讛讜讗 讻砖诇诪讬诐

搂 The mishna taught that one may neither eat meat nor drink wine. A tanna taught in the Tosefta: However, one may eat heavily salted meat and drink wine from his press, i.e., wine that has not finished fermenting. The Gemara inquires: With regard to salted meat, how long must this meat remain in salt before it is permitted? Rav 岣nnana bar Kahana said in the name of Shmuel: As long as it is like peace-offerings, which could be eaten for two days and one night after they were sacrificed. After this time has passed, it is no longer called meat. Therefore, if it was salted for longer than this, it may be eaten on the eve of the Ninth of Av.

讜讬讬谉 诪讙转讜 注讚 讻诪讛 讻诇 讝诪谉 砖讛讜讗 转讜住住 转谞讗 讬讬谉 转讜住住 讗讬谉 讘讜 诪砖讜诐 讙讬诇讜讬 讜讻诪讛 转住讬住转讜 砖诇砖讛 讬诪讬诐

The Gemara asks: And with regard to wine from his press, until when is wine considered from his press? As long as it is fermenting. A tanna taught in a baraita: Wine that is fermenting does not have a problem with regard to exposed liquids, as there is no concern that a snake will leave its venom in that wine. And how long is its fermenting period? Three days from the time the grapes were pressed.

讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 讗诪专 专讘 讻讱 讛讬讛 诪谞讛讙讜 砖诇 专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讘专讘讬 讗讬诇注讗讬 注专讘 转砖注讛 讘讗讘 诪讘讬讗讬谉 诇讜 驻转 讞专讘讛 讘诪诇讞 讜讬讜砖讘

Rav Yehuda said that Rav said: This was the custom of Rabbi Yehuda, son of Rabbi Ilai. On the eve of the Ninth of Av, near the evening, they would bring him stale bread with salt, and he would sit

讘讬谉 转谞讜专 诇讻讬专讬讬诐 讜讗讜讻诇 讜砖讜转讛 注诇讬讛 拽讬转讜谉 砖诇 诪讬诐 讜讚讜诪讛 讻诪讬 砖诪转讜 诪讜讟诇 诇驻谞讬讜

between the oven and the stove, which was considered the least respectable place in the house. And he would eat his bread, and drink a jug [kiton] of water with it, and in doing so he would resemble one whose deceased relative is laid out unburied before him.

转谞谉 讛转诐 诪拽讜诐 砖谞讛讙讜 诇注砖讜转 诪诇讗讻讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 注讜砖讬谉 诪拽讜诐 砖谞讛讙讜 砖诇讗 诇注砖讜转 讗讬谉 注讜砖讬谉 讜讘讻诇 诪拽讜诐 转诇诪讬讚讬 讞讻诪讬诐 讘讟诇讬诐 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 诇注讜诇诐 讬注砖讛 讻诇 讗讚诐 注爪诪讜 讻转诇诪讬讚 讞讻诐 转谞讬讗 谞诪讬 讛讻讬 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 诇注讜诇诐 讬注砖讛 讗讚诐 注爪诪讜 讻转诇诪讬讚 讞讻诐 讻讚讬 砖讬转注谞讛

We learned in a mishna there: In a place where people were accustomed to perform labor on the Ninth of Av, one performs labor. In a place where people were accustomed not to perform labor, one does not perform labor. And in all places, Torah scholars are idle and do not perform labor on the Ninth of Av. Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: With regard to the Ninth of Av, a person should always conduct himself as a Torah scholar and refrain from performing labor. This is also taught in a baraita: Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: A person should always conduct himself as a Torah scholar, so that he will feel the hardship of the fast.

转谞讬讗 讗讬讚讱 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 讗讜诪专 讻诇 讛讗讜讻诇 讜砖讜转讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讻讗讬诇讜 讗讜讻诇 讜砖讜转讛 讘讬讜诐 讛讻驻讜专讬诐 专讘讬 注拽讬讘讗 讗讜诪专 讻诇 讛注讜砖讛 诪诇讗讻讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讗讬谞讜 专讜讗讛 住讬诪谉 讘专讻讛 诇注讜诇诐

It is taught in another baraita that Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel says: Whoever eats and drinks on the Ninth of Av, although the prohibition was instituted by the Prophets, it is as though he eats and drinks on Yom Kippur. Rabbi Akiva says: Whoever performs labor on the Ninth of Av never sees a sign of a blessing from that work.

讜讞讻诪讬诐 讗讜诪专讬诐 讻诇 讛注讜砖讛 诪诇讗讻讛 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 讜讗讬谞讜 诪转讗讘诇 注诇 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讗讬谞讜 专讜讗讛 讘砖诪讞转讛 砖谞讗诪专 砖诪讞讜 讗转 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讜讙讬诇讜 讘讛 讻诇 讗讛讘讬讛 砖讬砖讜 讗转讛 诪砖讜砖 讻诇 讛诪转讗讘诇讬诐 注诇讬讛 诪讻讗谉 讗诪专讜 讻诇 讛诪转讗讘诇 注诇 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讝讜讻讛 讜专讜讗讛 讘砖诪讞转讛 讜砖讗讬谞讜 诪转讗讘诇 注诇 讬专讜砖诇讬诐 讗讬谞讜 专讜讗讛 讘砖诪讞转讛 转谞讬讗 谞诪讬 讛讻讬 讻诇 讛讗讜讻诇 讘砖专 讜砖讜转讛 讬讬谉 讘转砖注讛 讘讗讘 注诇讬讜 讛讻转讜讘 讗讜诪专 讜转讛讬 注讜谞讜转诐 注诇 注爪诪转诐

And the Sages say: Whoever performs labor on the Ninth of Av and does not mourn for Jerusalem will not see her future joy, as it is stated: 鈥淩ejoice with Jerusalem and be glad with her, all who love her; rejoice for joy with her, all who mourn for her鈥 (Isaiah 66:10). From here it is stated: Whoever mourns for Jerusalem will merit and see her future joy, and whoever does not mourn for Jerusalem will not see her future joy. This is also taught in a baraita: Whoever eats meat or drinks wine in the meal before the Ninth of Av, about him the verse states: 鈥淎nd whose iniquities are upon their bones, because the terror of the mighty was in the land of the living鈥 (Ezekiel 32:27).

专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 诪讞讬讬讘 讘讻驻讬讬转 讛诪讟讛 讜诇讗 讛讜讚讜 诇讜 讞讻诪讬诐 转谞讬讗 讗诪专讜 诇讜 诇专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讚讘专讬讱 注讜讘专讜转 讜诪谞讬拽讜转 诪讛 转讛讗 注诇讬讛谉 讗诪专 诇讛诐 讗祝 讗谞讬 诇讗 讗诪专转讬 讗诇讗 讘讬讻讜诇

搂 The mishna taught: Rabbi Yehuda obligates one to overturn the bed, but the Rabbis did not agree with him. It is taught in a baraita that the Rabbis said to Rabbi Yehuda: According to your statement, pregnant women and nursing women, who cannot sleep on the floor, what will become of them? Rabbi Yehuda said to them: I, too, spoke only with regard to those who are able.

转谞讬讗 谞诪讬 讛讻讬 诪讜讚讛 专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 诇讞讻诪讬诐 讘砖讗讬谞讜 讬讻讜诇 讜诪讜讚讬诐 讞讻诪讬诐 诇专讘讬 讬讛讜讚讛 讘讬讻讜诇 诪讗讬 讘讬谞讬讬讛讜 讗讬讻讗 讘讬谞讬讬讛讜 砖讗专 诪讟讜转

This is also taught in another baraita: Rabbi Yehuda concedes to the Rabbis with regard to one who is unable to sleep on the floor, and the Rabbis concede to Rabbi Yehuda with regard to one who is able to do so. The Gemara asks: If so, what is the practical difference between them? The Gemara explains: The practical difference between them is the status of other beds.

讻讚转谞讬讗 讻砖讗诪专讜 诇讻驻讜转 讛诪讟讛 诇讗 诪讟转讜 讘诇讘讚 讛讜讗 讻讜驻讛 讗诇讗 讻诇 讛诪讟讜转 讻讜诇谉 讛讜讗 讻讜驻讛 讗诪专 专讘讗 讛诇讻转讗 讻转谞讗 讚讬讚谉 讜诇讗 讛讜讚讜 诇讜 讞讻诪讬诐 讻诇 注讬拽专

As it is taught in a baraita: When the Rabbis said that a mourner is required to overturn the bed, they meant that he overturns not only his own bed, but also that he must overturn all the beds in the house. Rabbi Yehuda maintains that one must likewise overturn all of the beds of one鈥檚 house on the Ninth of Av. Rava said: The halakha is in accordance with the opinion of the tanna of our mishna, and the Rabbis did not concede to Rabbi Yehuda at all, even with regard to one who is able. Therefore, there is no requirement to overturn one鈥檚 bed on the Ninth of Av.

讗诪专 专讘谉 砖诪注讜谉 讘谉 讙诪诇讬讗诇 诇讗 讛讬讜 讬诪讬诐 讟讜讘讬诐 诇讬砖专讗诇 讻讞诪砖讛 注砖专 讘讗讘 讜讻讬讜诐 讛讻驻讜专讬诐 讘砖诇诪讗 讬讜诐 讛讻驻讜专讬诐 诪砖讜诐 讚讗讬转 讘讬讛 住诇讬讞讛 讜诪讞讬诇讛 讬讜诐 砖谞讬转谞讜 讘讜 诇讜讞讜转 讛讗讞专讜谞讜转

搂 The mishna taught that Rabban Shimon ben Gamliel said: There were no days as happy for the Jewish people as the fifteenth of Av and as Yom Kippur. The Gemara asks: Granted, Yom Kippur is a day of joy because it has the elements of pardon and forgiveness, and moreover, it is the day on which the last pair of tablets were given.

讗诇讗 讞诪砖讛 注砖专 讘讗讘 诪讗讬 讛讬讗 讗诪专 专讘 讬讛讜讚讛 讗诪专 砖诪讜讗诇 讬讜诐 砖讛讜转专讜 砖讘讟讬诐 诇讘讜讗 讝讛 讘讝讛

However, what is the special joy of the fifteenth of Av? Rav Yehuda said that Shmuel said: This was the day on which the members of different tribes were permitted to enter one another鈥檚 tribe, by intermarriage. It was initially prohibited to intermarry between tribes, so as to keep each plot of land within the portion of the tribe that originally inherited it. This halakha was instituted by the Torah in the wake of a complaint by the relatives of the daughters of Zelophehad, who were worried that if these women married men from other tribes, the inheritance of Zelophehad would be lost from his tribe (see Numbers 36:1鈥12).

诪讗讬 讚专讜砖 讝讛 讛讚讘专 讗砖专 爪讜讛 讛壮 诇讘谞讜转 爪诇驻讞讚 讜讙讜壮 讚讘专 讝讛 诇讗 讬讛讗 谞讜讛讙 讗诇讗 讘讚讜专 讝讛

What did they expound, in support of their conclusion that this halakha was no longer in effect? The verse states: 鈥淭his is the matter that the Lord has commanded concerning the daughters of Zelophehad, saying: Let them marry whom they think best; only into the family of the tribe of their father shall they marry鈥 (Numbers 36:5). They derived from the verse that this matter shall be practiced only in this generation, when Eretz Yisrael was divided among the tribes, but afterward members of different tribes were permitted to marry. On the day this barrier separating the tribes was removed, the Sages established a permanent day of rejoicing.

讗诪专 专讘 讬讜住祝 讗诪专 专讘 谞讞诪谉 讬讜诐 砖讛讜转专 砖讘讟 讘谞讬诪讬谉 诇讘讜讗 讘拽讛诇 砖谞讗诪专 讜讗讬砖 讬砖专讗诇 谞砖讘注 讘诪爪驻讛 诇讗诪专 讗讬砖 诪诪谞讜 诇讗 讬转谉 讘转讜 诇讘谞讬诪谉 诇讗砖讛 诪讗讬 讚专讜砖 讗诪专 专讘 诪诪谞讜 讜诇讗 诪讘谞讬谞讜

Rav Yosef said that Rav Na岣an said: The fifteenth of Av was the day on which the tribe of Benjamin was permitted to enter the congregation of the Jewish people. After the tragic incident at Gibeah, for which the tribe of Benjamin was blamed, the other tribes ostracized them. They took an oath to prohibit themselves from marrying a member of the tribe of Benjamin, as it is stated: 鈥淎nd the men of Israel had sworn in Mizpah, saying: None of us shall give his daughter to Benjamin as a wife鈥 (Judges 21:1). The Gemara asks: What did they expound that enabled them to dissolve this oath? Rav said: They understood the verse literally, as it states: 鈥淣one of us,鈥 and not: None of our children, i.e., the oath applied only to the generation that took the oath, not their descendants.

讗诪专 专讘讛 讘专 讘专 讞谞讛 讗诪专 专讘讬 讬讜讞谞谉 讬讜诐 砖讻诇讜 讘讜 诪转讬 诪讚讘专 讚讗诪专 诪专 注讚 砖诇讗 讻诇讜 诪转讬 诪讚讘专 诇讗 讛讬讛 讚讘讜专 注诐 诪砖讛 砖谞讗诪专 讜讬讛讬 讻讗砖专 转诪讜 讻诇 讗谞砖讬 讛诪诇讞诪讛 诇诪讜转 讜讬讚讘专 讛壮 讗诇讬 讗诇讬 讛讬讛 讛讚讘讜专

Rabba bar bar 岣na said that Rabbi Yo岣nan said: The fifteenth of Av was the day on which the deaths of the Jews in the wilderness ceased. The entire generation that had left Egypt had passed away, as the Master said: After the sin of the spies, on account of which the Jews of that generation were sentenced to die in the wilderness, as long as the death of the Jews in the wilderness had not ceased, God鈥檚 speech did not come to Moses, as it is stated: 鈥淎nd it came to pass, when all the men of war were consumed and dead from among the people, that the Lord spoke to me, saying鈥 (Deuteronomy 2:16鈥17). This indicates that only then, after the last member of that generation had died, was God鈥檚 speech delivered to me, i.e., Moses, but not beforehand. When the Jews realized that the decree that God would not speak to Moses had been lifted, they established that day as a permanent day of rejoicing.

注讜诇讗 讗诪专 讬讜诐 砖讘讬讟诇 讛讜砖注 讘谉 讗诇讛 驻专讜住讚讬讜转 砖讛讜砖讬讘 讬专讘注诐 讘谉 谞讘讟 注诇 讛讚专讻讬诐 砖诇讗 讬注诇讜 讬砖专讗诇 诇专讙诇 讜讗诪专

Ulla said: The fifteenth of Av was the day on which King Hoshea, son of Ela, canceled the guards that Jeroboam, son of Nevat, placed on the roads so that the Jews would not ascend to Jerusalem for the pilgrim Festival. And Hoshea, son of Ela, said

Scroll To Top